10.03.2005

The new Hose Monster has as its genesis much the same circumstance as its progenitor.

I have nothing to do.

The old blog started up because, in the months leading up to when I quit my job to start law school, work stopped making its way to my desk with alarming rapidity. The dearth of work for me to do made perfect sense - were I a senior person with clients to please, I would not want to have as a member of my project team someone I knew planned to leave in a few months' time. But that did not change the fact that I showed up for work at 8:30 every morning, and spent the entire day exploring corners of the Internet in an effort to kill the time until 5 in the afternoon.

Hose Monster rises again because I have nothing to do at work except kill time on the Internet. Of course this time I have recently started a job, but work has yet to reach my desk with any consistency.

What makes this second go-around of writing to stave off boredom more troublesome is the fact that I expect my career job to resemble a career, whereas my past employment served to pay the bills until I returned to school, a course I had planned to follow well before I ever graduated from college.

Outside my office, my colleagues move around with purpose, clearly having things to do and precious little time to do them. They put their best efforts into earning their pay. Meanwhile, I sit alone in my office frittering time away, hoping that someone will bring me work to do, which might lead to more work, and so on. I have asked my designated mentors whether I should go out and shake the trees to try and jar loose work. They have advised against it, saying that new employees frequently spend a few weeks with little to do while they wait for new work to arrive.

While these statements do reassure me to some extent that others do not refrain from asking for my help because they do not like my work product, they do not allay my boredom in any way.

In the meantime, at least Take 2 will have lots of start-up content.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home